Imagine a world free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination. That’s what we strive for when highlighting International Women’s Day each year.
Successful organisations know that it is extremely important to have people with different skills in any team. If everyone tries to solve a problem the same way, they may never find a solution. People with different views and experiences offer growth and development for everyone around them. Sometimes we just don’t see the world the same way they do.
Many people say they are open to a world that is diverse, equitable and inclusive. A world where difference is valued. Do we just talk about it or are we open to making positive change permanent?
On Wednesday 8th March the world celebrates International Women’s Day and the theme for 2023 is #EmbraceEquity.
To Embrace means – to willingly and enthusiastically accept, adopt and espouse.
The symbolism chosen is of us embracing ourselves with a hug, but I think we should go one step further and challenge ourselves to embrace others. Not just physically but emotionally, mentally, metaphorically.
Here’s what I mean:
- Open your heart and mind and embrace other women around you, especially if they are of a different culture, colour or creed.
- Highlight the achievements of women around you. Tell your boss about a great colleague.
- Send a local schoolteacher or nurse a note of appreciation.
- Raise awareness about discrimination when you see it happening.
- Take positive action to drive gender parity.
- Encourage a woman who is trying to create positive change.
- Support creative women by purchasing their products – art, poetry, music etc…
- Go to a female sporting event and cheer them on.
- If you belong to a workplace that doesn’t respect women, call it out.
- Be a positive role model.
Enjoy IWD! It belongs to us all.